Monday, May 30, 2022

Aurora, the Numen of Aerogenesis

 I'll be honest, I have no idea what a Numen is. Aurora and Mortenebra are both Numens of something. Wikipedia says it's something Latin. 

I play Aurora1 a couple times when I first got the faction, and during the first attempt at the Oblivion campaign and couldn't quite get the hang of her. This never bothered me much before because lots of people said she was the worst caster in Convergence, so maybe I wasn't really missing anything. But now she's one of the best casters, not just in Convergence, but in Mercenaries too. So for that, and for completeness, I'd better paint her up. 

You may have noticed that Convergence doesn't have many faces in it, which may or may not be a reason I chose it. In fact, there are exactly two, one of which is a shared model between two factions. Faces are hard. And take ages. And, at least when I paint them, often turn out looking goofy. So, with all that being said, here's Aurora's.

Aurora1, face

I may have tried to do too much as once here. I wanted her to have darker skin and magneta irises. The skin tone was difficult, and took a lot of mixing, but I think it turned out pretty good. Very dark skin is easier, as is very pale skin. These in-between tones are more difficult to imitate without it looking flat. 

Unfortunately, when I look at her face though, I think of that Dreamworks movie How to Train Your Dragon, because she looks like the dragon in that movie. Whoops.

Aurora, the Numen of Aerogenesis

The effect is much nicer when we zoom out though. Here the North African/Egyptian look comes through much better. The irises were probably a waste of time, it's hard to see them even this close up. The "feathers" on the wings I tried to make look more golden to contrast with the brass, but I don't know if the effect came through or not.

Aurora1, front

She has just a few glowing baubles, but they help to break up the metals a bit. She's supposed to have four distinct and distinguishable metals (copper, brass, gold, and iron) which might be too much.

Aurora1, side

That said, I am happy with how she came out. I'm glad I tried to do an 'Egyptian' look, I think it suits the model better than the studio 'pale girl' that they nearly always do. 


Aurora1, back


And now I've done all of the warcasters I own. There's only one more in the faction (Locke) and I don't know when or if I'll be getting her. Here's a quick group shot of the six together. Despite them never able to be in the same army together, I think they look great as a group. Oh, I probably didn't mention, but I rebased Directrix's servitors.


Convergence of Cyriss warcasters


No comments: