Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Some Dark Grey Dragons

When I got the big army box two Christmases ago, it came with two full units of iron fang pikemen, with the option of turning either or both into black dragons. When I built them, I had no idea which one I'd rather have so I put them together as one unit of each. Which I'm glad I did, as they seem to have different purposes and are both fun to play with. Since then I've put some amount of paint on all of those miniatures except the black dragons which I've avoided both because "it'll be easy when I decide to get to it" and because I don't like painting black. Maybe I'm somehow still burned out after the Cryx. When I finish each of the other pieces, I'll put them up here too but these guys are the first unit that is completely done.




I'm going for some kind of dark Roman Legionnaires look, which I think worked out well enough. I didn't seal them because I may go back and touch them out, and I've also not based them yet (like the rest of my Khador). I'm a little disappointed that a lot of the details are difficult to see without getting VERY close, but I'm still glad I did it. After almost a year I think I've figured out what those dangly things are on their sash, extra pike tips! Realizing that I wanted the holder to be a different metallic than the bronze of the tips and ornamentation.

I also grabbed a Kapitan Sofya Skirova, a Black Dragon solo which refuses to die. I thought the miniature was great and she was fun to paint up with the rest of her boys and girls.







I don't think that I'm still as up to painting 13 models in an assembly style as I used to, but it definitely felt efficient. I think it only took me three days of painting to get them from primer black to this state.

Anyway I've got about as many half-finished Khador as I do fully finished ones so it's likely I'll be posting relatively often while I finish those off.


No comments: