Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vortex!!!

I just got done fighting an Apocylpse game earlier today that was 18K per side. There were 6 of us on our (the good guys) side so we each got 3000pts to work with. Now normally thats easy to fill but due to past Apoclypse games that went on and on and on and on... I decided to do something with a little more killing power.

I managed to convince everyone to waver the 0-1 restiction on the Vortex Grenade! stragetic asset for me. Thus I did what was natural and that is to fit as many Vortex Grenades in 3000pts as possible. I managed to get 8 HQ choices and 7 Vortex Grenades in at 3000pts with another from my free asset to a total of 8 Vortex Grenades!! Now if you are still under a rock and don't know what Vortex Grenades do, they are a small blast template with a range of 6" and counts as ordnance. And because there are no infrantry units in all of 40k except this one situation that have an ordnance weapon, there is no place that says you cannot move and fire ordnance. Basically everything under it is removed: terrain, modals, Monoliths, etc. or if its a Super-Heavy or Gargatuan it takes D3 structure points or D6 wounds respectively. Then it is not removed but instead continues to float around in a random direction. So this little baby is a monster.

I deployed two of my 8 guys (a Jump pack-less captain and Mephiston). Mephiston murdered a 9man Deffkoptas squad and took one wound (from Perils of the Warp) and the other guy's granade scattered one inch away from both him and a bulding full of 60 guardsmen on my own team! But then my units started deep striking and blowing things up (I'll spare you the details). Long story short I killed a Warhound Titan, Stompa, 3 Monoliths, 2 Loota Wagons, and some mischallenous things with my Vortex Grenades and only friendly fired 2 Rhinos and a speeder (both belonging to the same player with a total of 700 something loss... he thought the Vortex Grenades are a bad idea). And in the end they consumed almost all of the terrain on the board.


This is something I've wanted to do since Apoclypse first came out and I am very glad I did because I thought it was a blast (haha that was a funny...). Though toward the end I was accused of "cheese" and such nonsense, at which I told them they could have brought some cheese if they had wanted too. Instead they were all just just crackers they I ate with said cheese. I doubt I will be allowed to ever to do this again but I had fun with it this time and I am glad I did.


But like after all Apoclypse games I am sick and tired of it and will never play one ever again because they are long, boring, and time-consuming (I got one scheduled for two weeks from now... curse this wretched addiction...). Though at least I got some painting on my Tyranids done....

1 comment:

warhead01 said...

Hay that sounds like a game I'm glag o have missed! But it is good to get to try the extreem. So any future post on those Nidz?